Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My poor little baby!

This has been a very hard month for poor baby Joey! On Jan. 28th Joey had to undergo a sleep study at St. John's Hospital. Joey has large tonsils and snores very loud when he sleeps.....I mean louder than Chris at times! Dr. Dorfman was afraid he had sleep apnea so wanted to have him checked out. We arrived at the hospital at 7:30pm with our bags ready to go for what I thought would be a sleepless night. When we arrived we were immediately surrounded by nurses all ooooing and ahhhhing over little Joey! I guess the ladies aren't used to little ones up there all the time. Once we got settled into our room, the fun began. It was now time to hook up all the monitors. I was expecting it to be a total nightmare so whatever happened couldn't top that. Joey began his fight as the nurse started hooking him up. Luckily this lady had the patience of a saint and a lot of tricks up here sleeve. So after awhile, Joey gave up his fight and finally sat still eating on the snacks she had brought for him. Finally he was all hooked up except for a nose part that she said she would wait to put on after he was in a deep sleep. After all that fighting, it didn't take long for Joey to pass out asleep. He slept in the hospital bed and I slept in a bigger bed that was pushed up next to him so that we were still touching.
This is what the poor guy looked like when he was all hooked up........NOT a very happy camper!!!!

I thought for sure the night was going to be horrible and we would never get any sleep, but Joey did very well! He woke up about 7-8 times but was always back to sleep within 10 minutes of me rubbing his back. But everytime he fell asleep he was on his side and I was afraid the results would be off because he only snores when he is on his back. After commenting about this to the nurse in the morning she assured me that he had slept on his back towards the late hours and she did get plenty of get info.
Well a week later it was all confirmed that Joey does have sleep apnea and we had to make an appointment with an ENT doctor at St. John's Hospital. He will be going to that doctor later today.

Well after that ordeal, I thought we were done. But this past Saturday night I got a frantic call from Chris at 12:45 am saying Joey woke up with a croupy cough and was having trouble breathing. I was due to get off work at 1am so I rushed home as soon as I clocked out. When I got there, Joey was definitely have a hard time breathing. I went ahead and called the doctors exchange line to see what they suggested I do for him. I know they say to sit in a steam bath or head outside for the cool air, but I was too frantic to think for myself at this point. So I told the pediatric nurse what was going on and had her listen to his breathing over the phone. She told me to go ahead and take him to the ER at Barnes to have him looked at. Luckily I'm a police officer for St. Peters because I sped all the way there! While on my way, I called my mom who is always up late. I didn't want to be by myself so asked her to come up to the ER to be with and in case things got bad she could run to my house so Chris could come to the hospital. After checking in and being seen by a nurse, Joey's breathing finally went back to a normal breathing. The doctor came in and checked him out and said he definitely had croup and gave him a dose of steroids and a breathing treatment.
My poor baby during his breathing treatment......once again not a happy camper!

He was a trooper and didn't fight the doctor through any of it, but again he was probably too exhausted to try! After receiving both treatments, Joey said how much better he felt. So after two hours at the ER and an exhausted momma and baby, we were finally able to go home. Thank GOD he has been back to his normal crazy self!
I think he is done with the hospital for awhile!

No comments: