Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Saturday, April 17, 2010

April showers brings my kids warm hearts!

This morning we helped Adriana's girlscout troop pick up the bags for April showers. These are bags that the girlscouts dropped off last Saturday and people filled up with personal hygiene products and left on their front porches for the girls to pick up. Well since Chris was working today, I also brought the boys along. After picking up all the bags, the girls sorted through all the items, crossed out the bar codes so they could not be returned, then organized them into separate boxes. Boy was that a lot of work! After that we brought them up to the New Hope Food Pantry. While the adults were unloading all of the heavy boxes, the girls got to go on a tour of the food pantry. The woman working there told the kids about several stories of families coming in and really needing food and personal supplies. This must have really effected my older two because they immediately wanted to go home and clean out our pantries and bring some food up to the pantry. I said that was a great idea since we were going all organic anyway. So we empties out a lot of our pantry. This included a lot of boxed meals, some homemade gourmet things I had left, and lots of other food items. We ended up with FIVE bags of food! Wow! We even brought several frozen items as well.
Here is a picture of the kids with all the bags of food.

Here is a peak into all the food bags.

The kids trying to help bring the bags out to the car.

And a picture of the kids after dropping off all of the bags at the food pantry. I'm not sure why none of them are smiling......maybe tired from all the carrying they just did. You can kind of see the food pantry lady in the back and she was very excited about all the food we just brought in!

I'm so glad my kids get to hear the stories about how we can help others. I want them to know how fortunate we really are and how good it can feel to help others in need. Maybe we will have to keep doing this every few months to help out!!!!

No comments: